Number of Attempts
• Every candidate from general category who has satisfied all other eligibility criteria is allowed to sit in the UPSC examination for 6 times.
• For the candidates belonging to other backward classes, the number of attempt is extended to nine who are otherwise eligible to appear in the examination.
• For Scheduled castes or scheduled tribes there is no limitation of the attempts. They can appear in the UPSC examination until and unless they don’t reach the age limit prescribed by the committee.
• If in case the candidate is eligible to avail of reservation applicability, he/she shall be given relaxation.
• A physically handicapped candidate belonging to general as well as other backward categories will be eligible for nine attempts.
• A physically handicapped candidate belonging to the scheduled caste or scheduled tribe has opportunity to take the examination endless times till the age of 47.
• The relaxation will be offered to the physically handicapped candidates who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates.
• If any candidate once appears in the preliminary examination, it will be considered as an attempt.
• If any candidate has filled the application form, but due to one or the other reason could not appear in the prelims, for him/her it will not be counted as an attempt.